Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Writing and Reading , The Lost Art


Boy Howdy Its been a while since I've wrote anything but my name on a receipt.
I used to write letters all the time, I had tons of pen pals when I was a kid and like the show Hoarders I coveted them. Back in the day, when Kids didn't have cell phones, and lap tops , all we had were bikes, huge imaginations , TGIF of Friday night and Nickeloden on the other days of the week. That is when I think I wrote the most in my life.
As I got older and went to college I read more than wrote. I typed lots sure, but I mean Pen to the paper writing.
Some people say writing as well as reading has become a lost art. But I wonder if they count all the hours people spend texting, tweeting, commenting, bloging, ect?
I see people all the time looking down while they walk into a busy intersection on their phone reading or typing a text. Do you think 50 years ago that was an issue? Were people walking into busy streets with their nose in a copy of War and Peace?
I can remember my nephew having to be bribed to read one paragraph a day of a book ( paper bound book ) But the second the kid saw he could read a book on my Ipod , he was hooked.
So is writing and reading really a lost art? Or are the people claiming this just basing it off quality instead of quantity?
I know Facebook Updates are not Shakespere, and reading peoples random tweets from the potty are not Dickens but as they say with exercise , every little bit counts ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment